Monday, August 31, 2015

Week 61 - Kudekat Padamu, Ya Allah Ku" (Nearer My God to Thee) Playing the Piano, and the Work is on Fire!

Man where do I even start!?!?! This week has just been am absolute blessing. There have been so many miracles and blessings that it is impossible for just one person to enjoy!!! Maybe just a short story of what brings joy to missionaries will do to begin.

One night, my companion and I were on the angkot home (little bus type things that are decked out with lights and music and anything you can think of) when a girl that looked no older than 19 hopped on. She was looking and reading our nametags. When I saw the look on her face, it was one of devastation, sadness, and anything to do with that. I immediately just had the impression to start a conversation with her. To be honest, the conversation didn't really focus on anything super Gospel related other than we had a special message and that we teach an English class. We talked for the 10-minute ride back and she just had the biggest smile the whole time that someone would go out of their way just to talk to her. We didn't get any contact information, but we know that we had done a good deed! :)

As you have all anticipated, the father of the miracle was baptized!!!!!! It was such an awesome thing to be a part of. On Tuesday he was interviewed and to be honest we wanted to push the baptism back just so that he could be baptized with his family but he told us no that he wants to be baptized first. We went back on Thursday night and went over some last few things. We ended the lesson by singing "Kudekat Padamu, Ya Allah Ku" (Nearer My God to Thee). Tears were flowing the whole song from his eyes and the spirit was just so strong and touching the hearts of everybody. He was baptized on Saturday and confirmed on Sunday along with the wonderful Sisters that were baptized last week. MIRACLES!!! The kids of the miracle family are ready to also be baptized so we are working with them to hopefully see that happen in the next little while.

This past week we found a new investigator that just moved here from an island close to the Philippines. We taught him the Restoration and when we went back had the impression to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We gave him the baptismal commitment and he accepted!! We have only met him twice!! He came to church yesterday and it was just another miracle and blessing!!!!

This is a little personal miracle for me but while we were waiting for the meeting with the Branch mission leader I had a little time to sit at the piano and play a little! To be honest it was a blast and I was able to play a lot more than I thought I could actually play and to still have a little bit of this talent left and to realize I almost threw it away had me thinking about the parable of the talents. I realized that this talent is God given and if I want more, I have to develop the ones I already have. Music is awesome!!

The package and the letter from Kaitlyn showed up!! I am so very thankful that I was able to receive those. The Elders and myself have been enjoying every little bit of it!! 

The time is flying by and the church and the work has caught on fire here in Manado! The Lord has big things planned for this place and I get to be one of his instruments in making it happen!!

I love you all!

Elder Hayes

P.s. apparently there was a small volcano that erupted so we woke up Sunday morning to a hazy morning with a little volcanic ash.....it was awesome!!! :) 

Bro. A and his daughter

Inside of an angkot with Tv's and Captain America and what not (our transportation here in Manado)

It is my companion's birthday today, so he got the cultural eggs and water bright and early :)

No comments:

Post a Comment