Sunday, November 16, 2014

Week 20 - What Earthquake?, Marrow in the Bones, Missionary Work is Way Tough.

Your emails and letters and thoughts are very uplifting. For the record, I actually did not feel any earthquake but, that doesn't mean that missionaries that are more near the coast didn't. That's crazy!! As missionaries, we don't get any news like that! 

It rains everyday!! The weather is a heck of a lot nicer and bearable when it rains. There are a couple foods that when it rains, the smell just carries and everybody craves it. As on the food front, for weird foods of the week, this week was marrow. I'm not sure really where it came from, but it apparently is a traditional Javanese food. They were saying that when people work hard for a couple days or however long they celebrate by eating this marrow stuff because it's good for you. It was good!! Unfortunately I don't have a picture.

In answer to some of your questions. In our house there is a microwave but it's not really used that often, in general people don't have microwaves because if they were to use it, the power would go out. As for ovens we have like a box thing that you stick on the stove. I've never used it! Most houses don't have ovens I don't think either.

As far as the missionary work goes, I'm gonna be honest, it is way tough. We had one person with a baptism date and when we went there they told us that their kids don't want us coming back and that they are comfortable in their own church. So there went the one and only person with a date. Since the time I've been here, there hasn't been a progressive investigator, only 2 less-actives have come to church both only came one time. And yeah! That sums up right now. But, it pushes me to work harder. These people NEED the gospel. Elder B and I are working hard to find the right people. 

The language in some aspects gets easier and easier and other aspects I'm like what the heck is going on! It's nuts! 

I hope everything continues to get better for all of you and thank you for your prayers and everything. Have a great week!!!

Elder Hayes

******************
Dear Kaitlyn,

I hate to hear that about basketball. But you know what, don't worry about it and move on. Last year when I was cut from the team I cared too much for too long. I hope that maybe getting but will just want you to try again later. I hope that you try again later. It's one thing I've also learned on my mission too. Maybe things don't go the way we want them to go. Since my time here, I've visited a few less actives EVERY single week and they still haven't come to church. I've been in hundreds of lessons and I have not yet had an investigator that is progressive. But with that said, it just drives me to work harder so that the Lord can help me so that I can bring people into his kingdom. Maybe you try something and it just isn't for you. High school is that time to find out who you are and what you are good at. It sounds like school has been treating you well. Keep up the good work. I love you!

Your big brother,

Elder Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment